What you can do to Help:

The Background information that is important to read first......

1. If you wish to ensure the conservation, restoration and preservation of the foreshore inter-tidal zone there are several ways in which you can help.  But first, it is important to understand  who is responsible for what around the foreshore and harbour.

2. The Port of Vancouver has proprietary jurisdiction for the water and a good portion of the shoreline of Burrard Inlet east of the mouth of the Capilano River including the Inner Harbour, Second Narrows, the Central Harbour, Port Moody Arm and Indian Arm.  In Burrard Inlet, the majority of the waterfront industries and terminals are tenants of the Port of Vancouver. The residential docks and float structures crossing the inter-tidal zone into deeper water may be privately owned but the foreshore and harbour bottom beneath the structures is not and is leased from the Port of Vancouver. 

3. The Port of Vancouver operates under the Canada Marine Act and is a responsible agency under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act.

4. Simply, what this means is that nearly all of the inter-tidal foreshore, below the High Tide mark down to the Low Tide mark and the water to seaward is owned by the crown and is administered by the Port of Vancouver.

5. The land above the inter-tidal foreshore, High Water mark may or may not be privately owned but will probably fall within the jurisdiction of one of the municipalities bordering on the harbour waters mentioned in paragraph 2.

6. Thus the administration and management of the foreshore is complicated and it is therefore essential that the Port of Vancovuer and the appropriate municipality work closely and co-operatively together at all times to ensure that the best interests of the general public at large are served. Regrettably, this has not always been the case.

Now, what can you do to help?

a. Contact your MP, MLA or Municipal Mayor or the CEO of Port of Vancouver and express your concerns particularly in regard to the obstructions currently preventing or making it difficult for the general public to access and enjoy the inter-tidal zone beach.  Give particular, factual instances.

b. Contact your Municipal Mayor about encroachments occurring on public lands, beach accesses etc. above the High Water mark.  Again, be factual.

c. Walk the walk and talk the talk.  Visit the beaches, check out the open and closed beach accesses.   Become familiar with our foreshore. Explore, enjoy your beaches.    Participate in the annual beach walk and join with the different organizations that help keep the beaches clean.

How to contact them:

Port of Vancouver   https://www.portvancouver.com/

District of North Vancouver   http://www.dnv.org

North Vancouver City   http://www.cnv.org