Note: Signs and Trail Marking will only be in place for the day of the Discovery Waterfront Walk
The instructions are based on the walk being done when there is a low tide. If you linger too long some parts of the route may become impassable due to rising tide.
- Start at Cates Park and proceed east for 2km along shoreline to Harris Beach.
- Climb stairs to Harris Place and proceed to Harris Road.
- Turn right onto Harris Road.
- Turn right onto Stonehaven Avenue.
- Follow the path running beside #4535 Stonehaven Avenue.
- At the street-end proceed on footpath down to waterfront.
- Walk along the beach past Strathcona Wharf to Strathcona Park. (This part must be done at low tide.)
- Go through Strathcona Park to Strathcona Road.
- Turn right on Strathcona Road.
- Turn left onto Roxbury Road and follow to the end.
- Turn right onto Cove Cliff Road.
- Turn left onto Naomi Place.
- Turn LEFT at Cardinal Crescent.
- At #1905 Cardinal, by the driveway, take trail to right into Wickenden Park.
- Follow the trail’s right fork to Eastridge Road.
- Leave the park and turn left onto Eastridge Road.
- Turn left onto Lockhaven Road.
- Turn right onto Raeburn Street.
- Turn right onto Parkside Lane and continue to the end.
- Turn left at staircase and cross footbridge into Deep Cove Park.
- Walk through park and follow shoreline to Panorama Park.
If you do this walk on your own when the tide is high, two sections, which will cause you difficulties, are around Harris Beach and Strathcona Park. You are therefore advised to check the times of the tides before starting out and/or use the map to find an alternative route. You may also need or wish to leave or enter the beach at one of the many street ends which provide a range of alternative walking choices, and, based on maintenance and slope, some may provide easier access than others.
Please note public washrooms are available at Cates Park, Little Cates Park and Panorama Park in Deep Cove.